Start planning now…Minneapolis here we come!
Reminder: Tech and Dress Rehearsals
Tech rehearsal – if you are in Denver, you are expected to be at tech rehearsal
Call time is 9:15 am at the stage door, 1345 Champa; no concert attire is needed
Dress rehearsal – mandatory rehearsal
Central Presbyterian Church, 1660 Sherman St, Denver, CO
Getting to the church: Go to 17th Street in downtown Denver and board the MALLRIDE bus. Exit at 17th Street and Court Place. Walk one block to Broadway. Cross Broadway and continue walking down E 17th Ave. Go two blocks to Sherman Street and turn right onto Sherman Street. You should see the church.
5-6 pm – dancers
6-8 pm – performance attire required
GALA Must Sees
GALA this year is sure to be a wonderful and truly gay experience! If this is your first time attending GALA, like me, it’s possible you can be a bit overwhelmed with all of the goings-on. Well, the GALA Committee and myself is here to help! I’ve solicited suggestions from seasoned attendees and bring you an unbeatable list of a few must-see performances!
Michael Kirby is excited to see:
- One Voice Chorus Charlotte. This concert is on Tuesday, 5 July at 3 pm in Boettcher Concert Hall. The only downside of this performance is that it takes place at the same time as Windy City, which is also sure to be a great show!
- Columbus Gay Men’s Chorus. Kirby hails this as the best “show choir” you’ll have a chance to see! They perform Sat, 2 July at 5:30 pm in Buell Theatre.
- Voices of Kentuckiana. This inclusive chorus from Louisville performs Monday, 4 July at 3 pm in Boettcher Concert Hall.
- Schola Cantorosa. This chorus from Hamburg, Germany once sang a pre-GALA concert with CGMC! They will be performing their magical set on Tuesday, 5 July at 12 pm in Ellie Caulkins Opera House.
- Seattle Women’s Chorus Coffee Concert is a new musical from Eric Lane Barnes! The performance is Sunday, 3 July at 10:30 am in Buell Theatre. If you want to attend this concert, be sure to sit in the back as our call time is 11:15 in a different theatre!
LT says that Tuesday Night’s “Late Night Ensemble” is always a riot! Groups like Captain Smartypants and The Lollypop Guild have a reputation for being smart, funny, and highly entertaining. And they each perform for just a few minutes so if something doesn’t strike your fancy, you’ll see a new act soon!
Ryan Rollinson is always most impressed by the passion found in some of the smaller LGBTQ+ Choruses. The choruses usually come from areas where being queer is more difficult. Being part of a chorus is a way for them to meet similar people and make music which can beautify the world! He also mentions that the smaller ensembles from the larger choruses are worth watching because it offers a chance for some of their members to really shine!
This is just a tidbit of the myriad performances that are appearing at GALA this year! Don’t forget to join the GALA Chorus Member Facebook Group to hear from attendees from other choruses sharing their thoughts and building community!
And if you don’t have a smart phone or just prefer to have a print out, you can find a printable schedule here and a list of all the choruses here!
Also check out Denver Gay Men’s Chorus’s Guide to GALA!
See you in Denver!
GALA air travel reminders
Here are some helpful ideas to make your travel days to and from Denver run more smoothly.
1. Make sure the name on your ticket matches your ID exactly
2. Select your seats ASAP – flights can be overbooked, especially on a holiday weekend. Check into your flight online 24 hours prior to departure. Read more
GALA Perfomance Attire
We will be wearing concert blacks. (Black dress shoes, black socks, black dress pants, black belt, black collared long sleeve button down dress shirt)
The black shirts will be buttoned to the top to hide your secret shirt underneath. Read more
Use the Integra mobile app to view GALA performance schedule
The Festival schedule and program is available on a range of mobile apps, along with extra information about the performers and the venues, and lots more. You can search festival happenings by Day, Event, Performer, or Location.
You can download the free native app from the iOS App Store (for iPhones) or the Google Play store (for Android), or you can use a mobile web app for other phones and tablets (Blackberry, Windows, etc.). These all work offline if you’re out of signal or have data turned off. Search for the Integra Schedule app.
Holiday Hullabaloo tech and performance schedule
Here are the times and places to know for July 4 Read more
GALA tech, performance and “cast party” schedule
Here are the times and places to know for July 2 and July 3 Read more
Pre-GALA Concert Tickets now on sale
CGMC will be singing their ‘Sing Your Own’ set which will be performed at GALA this coming July. While Allegrezza will be performing selections from their ‘You Can Fly’ set, which is a beautifully curated collection of Disney’s very best. Truly a night of fantastic, thought-provoking and uplifting music sure to delight. Let your friends and family know! Send them the link to get tickets today!
Single tickets available for GALA Festival performances
Do you have family and friends who only want to see a few GALA performances? Individual concert tickets are now available at the Denver Performing Arts Complex (DPAC) Box Office and online through AXS.com, DPAC’s usual ticketing agency. Tickets for all concerts (concert blocks, blockbusters and coffee concerts) are priced at $25 each plus the AXS ticketing fee. There are a limited number of single performance tickets available for each show.